Receptionist Job description
The position of receptionist consists of answering inquiries and obtaining information for the general public,
customers, visitors and other interested parties. It also provides information regarding activities conducted at the
establishment; location of departments, offices and employees within the organisation.
- Collect, sort, distribute and prepare mail, messages and courier deliveries
- File and maintain records
- Greet persons entering the establishment, determine nature and purpose of visit and direct or escort them
- to specific destinations
- Hear and resolve complaints from customers and the public
- Operate telephone switchboard to answer, screen and forward calls, providing information, taking messages
- and scheduling appointments
- Perform administrative support tasks such as proofreading, transcribing handwritten information and
- operating calculators or computers to work with pay records, invoices, balance sheets and other documents
- Process and prepare memos, correspondence, travel vouchers or other documents
- Provide information about establishments such as the location of departments or offices, employees within
- the organisation or services provided
- Receive payment and record receipts for services
- Transmit information or documents to customers using a computer, mail or fax machine.
Qualifications and requirements
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years experience as a receptionist
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, actively look for ways to help people and adjust actions concerning others actions.
- Competencies (in order of importance)
- Dependability Job requires being reliable, responsible and dependable in fulfilling obligations.
- Attention to detail Job requires being careful about detail and thorough inn completing tasks.
- Integrity Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Self-Control-Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger and avoiding aggressive behaviour, even in challenging situations.
- Cooperation Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative